Boosting Your Self Esteem
Self esteem is a very important thing for all individuals. A person with a low self-esteem generally feels worthless about him or herself. In this column we are going to take a look at some of the best ways to go about boosting your self-esteem. Without any further ado, let us take a look at some of these great ways as they appear below:
How To Improve Your Self-Esteem
- One of the best ways to boost your self-esteem is to get to know or identify your positive qualities. Everybody has certain good qualities in them, and your job is to just recognize these good qualities and feel proud of them or better still utilize them. Some of the qualities that I am talking about might include certain good skills or talent that you have. When you recognize these qualities that are inherent within you, they can go a long way in boosting your confidence. At least you get to feel that you are worth something.
- The second way to increase your self-esteem is by working out. This is something not too many people know about. But studies have proven that working out can help in significantly boosting a person’s confidence level. You do not necessarily have to visit the gym daily in order to workout. You can simply go jogging for about 15 to 20 minutes four times a week. This can significantly help in boosting your self-esteem. It works for me all the time as it makes me feel good about myself.
- Do not listen to negative people around you who keep feeling your head with negative statements that you are not worthy or beautiful. If you find yourself around someone who is negative and makes you feel bad about yourself and the things that you do then it is best that you stay away from that person or try not to listen to what the person says about you. Keep telling yourself things such as ‘I am beautiful’, ‘I can do it’, ‘I am not worthless’. This way, you’d notice that gradually you begin to boost your self-esteem.
- Do not compare yourself to other people. Another very good way of boosting your self esteem is to stop comparing yourself with people who you think are better than you or are more successful than you. This is the worst thing that you can do to yourself. When you keep comparing yourself with people that are more successful than yourself, you are definitely going to end up feeling bad about yourself and that automatically leads to a low self esteem. For example, imagine the harm you do to yourself when you constantly keep comparing yourself to someone who is richer than you. You just might begin to feel bad about yourself when you compare your state to the state of that person who is richer than you. You see the person’s big house, nice cars, nice clothes, etc and you cannot help but feel bad about yourself. The more you do this, the more it negatively affects your self esteem. The interesting thing about such comparisons is that it is unfair because you really don’t know what the other person who you think is richer than you is going through. For all you know, although the person is richer than you, you are happier than him or her. So it is never fair to compare yourself to such a person. If you want to improve yourself esteem, then never play that comparison game.
- Focus on the positive things in your life rather than the negative things that happen to you. Studies have shown that another great way to boost your self esteem is by spending more time to focus on the good things that happen in your life instead of moping about the bad things. When you spend more time focusing on the positive things in your life, you naturally feel good about yourself. You feel you are worth something. You also feel there is hope. Being or feeling hopeless is one of the biggest reasons people have a low self esteem.
- Love yourself. Many people who suffer from low self esteem don’t love themselves as much as they are supposed to be doing. Loving thyself is another very important thing to do if you want to boost your self esteem.
The steps above rank among some of the best ways to boost your self-esteem. I religiously followed the steps above and I have noticed that it has helped me in significantly boosting my self-esteem and confidence level. I used to have very low self-esteem about myself. But like I said I faithfully practiced the above and they helped me significantly in taking control of my life and increasing my confidence level.
NOTE: Possessing very little self esteem is a very dangerous thing to you and the people around you in the sense that it can lead to depression and health problems such as obesity. Studies have also shown that people who have low self esteem tend to fall short of their potentials.