What is co-education? What are the advantages and disadvantages of co-education?
Another name for co-education is mixed-sex education, and as the name implies it is the education of both males and females at the same educational institution. Institutions or schools where co-education is practiced are called co-educational schools or mixed schools. Co-educational schools can also be called coed schools. The opposite of co-educational schools are single-sex schools.
Over the years, there have been numerous debates as to whether co-education is academically beneficial for students or not. Some argue that co-education is the best for students whereas others say co-education is not the best and that boys and girls should be taught separately at schools.
In this article we shall take a look at the advantages and disadvantages of co-education to students.
What are the advantages of co-education?
- One advantage of co-education is that it helps keep students neater and tidier than in single-sex schools. The reason students are neater in co-educational schools is because of the presence of the opposite sex, which makes students want to look their best and maintain good personal hygiene.
- For those who frown upon lesbianism and homosexualism, co-educational schools are very beneficial since they prevent students from engaging in lesbianism and homosexualism. Research has shown that homosexuality is more rampant in single-sex schools than it is in co-educational schools.
- In co-educational schools, boys and girls learn at an early age to stay together and work together. They get to learn more about each other, which is a very important aspect of the training process of children. But this is absent in single-sex schools where the students sometimes find it quite challenging mingling or associating themselves with members of the opposite sex. Co-ed schools help students to develop very healthy relationships with the opposite sex in future wherever they find themselves.
- Another advantage of co-education is the fact that it helps bring about healthy academic competition between boys and girls, leading to higher academic performances.
- Research shows that students who attend co-educational schools grow up to be more confident than those who went through single-schools. The collaboration between boys and girls in co-educational schools significantly helps both sexes to be more confident in various aspects of life.
- One of the reasons children are sent to school is because they need to be trained in order that they can fit perfectly in society and be useful people in future. In this regard, co-educational schools are best for training the child because they provide the perfect training environment made up of different people (males and females), which is also what the real society is made up of. There is absolutely no way that one can avoid contact with the opposite sex in the real world. Co-educational schools prepare the child for this.
- Generally, life in co-ed schools is more interesting and fun for students than life in single-sex schools.
What are the disadvantages of co-education?
Some of the disadvantages of co-ed schools include the following:
- The issue of teenage pregnancy is very rampant in co-ed schools. This is an obvious part of co-ed schools. When you have both males and females in the same school, it becomes really easy for students to enter into relationships and engage in intimate affairs that can easily lead to girls getting pregnant. But in single-sex schools this is very rare.
- As a result of the rampant issues of teenage pregnancies in co-ed schools, more girls drop out of such schools than in single-sex schools.
- Some students tend to perform poorly here simply because of their association with the opposite sex. This can come as a result of shyness to participate in class because of the opposite sex or just being distracted by the opposite sex.
- Research has showed that students in co-ed schools tend to perform well academically than students in single-sex schools.
- Students tend to find it difficult concentrating on their books and in class because of the presence of the opposite gender. The boys are attracted to the girls and the girls are also attracted to the boys. The boys and girls can’t help but spend a lot of time thinking about each other and forgetting about their studies. As a result of this, students here generally don’t perform very well in their academics.
- Co-ed schools make it quite difficult or awkward for some students to participate actively in certain subjects such as Biology. And this of course is going to make learning quite challenging. For example, a student might have a very pressing question in their Biology class, but might decide not to ask it in class simply because of being too shy of the opposite gender to ask it.
Share To Facebook