Have you ever wondered which car is the cheapest in the whole wide world? Well if you have ever wondered which is the cheapest car in the world and exactly how much it costs to own one, then you are in luck for this article is just going to enlighten you on that! The cheapest car in the world today is called the Tata Nano.
The Tata Nano, which is manufactured by Tata Motors in India, took the world by surprise. In 2009, when the Tata Nano made its debut, the initial selling price was just 1 lakh, which translated to just US$1,800. As of February 9, 2014, the car costs about US$2000
However, today the price has increased slightly. But even though the price has increased, the Tata Nano remains the world’s cheapest car. It is made and sold in India. The Tata Nano car has made it easier for people who would have been otherwise unable to buy brand new cars to afford them now.
So what makes the Tata Nano very cheap?
The reason this car has become the cheapest in the world is as a result of the manufacturer’s clever cost –cutting manufacturing techniques. Tata Motors, who happen to be the manufacturers of the Tata Nano made the car in the following ways in order to drastically cut down on cost and make the car affordable to all:
- Instead of having two windscreen wipers, the Nano has just one windscreen wiper.
- The rear hatch of the Nano does not open hence the trunk of the car can only be accessed from the inside of the car.
- There are no airbags in the Tata Nano cars.
- An average car will have four lug nuts on the wheels, but the Tata Nano has only three.
- The Nano comes along with just one wing mirror.
- The Nano has no power steering. Manufacturers say that the reason that they did not equip the Nano with a power steering is simply because the weight is so light it does not require one.
- The basic models of the Nano do not come along with air conditioning.
- Not all Tata Nanos come with radio or CD players. All in all the Tata Nano is a great car that has received mainly positive reviews everywhere.