Our editors compiled a list of the best website builders in 2017 based on their experience. The chart below is sorted by customer experience, ease of use and overall support.
- Free for as long as you want it
- Friendly drag-and-drop builder
- Large selection of modern, high-quality website templates
Wix offers free website hosting and themes with a simple easy-to-use drag-and-drop interface for users to customize their content. Absolutely no knowledge of coding required. In fact, even users that are comfortable with HTML or CSS are out of luck, since Wix does not allow editing of source code. Paid premium plans allows users to use their own domain, as well as removes ads and increases storage and bandwidth capacity. Wix’s selection of hundreds of high- fidelity, professional-looking website templates means that you can always find something beautiful to suits your needs. Wix currently services over 85 million users in 190 countries.
- Free plan with affordable upgrades
- Friendly drag-and-drop builder
- Mobile responsive templates
- Sophisticated and professional premium templates
Weebly’s free-for-life plan and extremely intuitive drag-and-drop builder makes it an extremely popular and perhaps one of the fastest ways to get a decent website up and running. Without overwhelming users, Weebly offers a handful of layouts for newcomers to get started. Weebly also allows user access to template HTML/CSS code to customize websites with more precision. While its selection of available themes is limited, access to source code editing allows a level of customization not available in pure drag-and-drop services. Weebly caters to all sort of users by showing that while coding is certainly helpful, it isn’t necessary to have a great website. Weebly has over 20 million websites and is based in San Francisco, CA.
- Free plan includes bare bone tools for creating content
- Open source code that is all-around convenient for users
- Unfit for beginner users
WordPress started out as just a blogging system, but has since evolved into one of the most popular and robust website content management systems. Unlike other services that offer website building, WordPress is a platform with a huge suite of tools created and managed by the user community. With thousands of widgets and plugins available, you can find the right tool for whatever job, or build it yourself! Probably unfit for beginners, WordPress is a system capable of doing anything, as long as you or someone you hire has the technical chops for it.
WordPress is undoubtedly popular, powering 26% of the web with over 500 sites being created daily on their platform. WordPress offers versatile plans and pricing that is fair and offers advance customization to the user.
- No free plan but great membership features for shop owners
- Excellent customer support with live chat and phone sessions
- Best ecommerce with support to various popular companies such as Amazon and Facebook
Shopify is the leading ecommerce platform that is perfect for any shop owner looking to easily sell their product online. Users have access to an assortment of tools that will make managing their stores easier, such as inventory tracking, accounting, shipping, and more, all without needing to know how to deal with complicated back-end systems. Shopify also offers over a hundred beautifully-designed templates, so your shop looks professional right off the bat.
- Free trial for 15 days otherwise standard pricing is $29.95/mo
- Ability to move stores to BigCommerce from other ecommerce platforms
- Responsive and modern themes to create attractive online stores
BigCommerce is a huge name in the ecommerce platform industry servicing companies Native Union,Jenis Splendid Ice Creams, Camelbak, Enjuku Racing and more. Its platform provides robust integration features right from the start, allowing store owners to get their product in front of as many potential customers as possible. Offering support to owners of clothing, automotive, health & beauty, electronics, outdoor & sporting and specialty stores, BigCommerce is great for small businesses looking to expand.
- To the point features for domain registration and hosting along with additional marketing products offered
- Offers “We Build it For You” along with do it yourself services
- Great for small to medium sized businesses
Founded in 1997, web.com offers a variety of web services catered to small businesses. While perhaps a little lagging in terms of modern design, web.com can help you get a website up and running for your business with few hiccups. Web.com offers tools and services to companies with the goal of success in mind. Small businesses can create websites with little to no knowledge using the services provided byweb.com and then further expand their business with services such as online marketing.
- Manage multiple domains under a simple control panel
- Extensive functions and services provided for novice to expert users
- E-mail and call support available
1and1 is a web hosting company that offers support for domains, websites, servers, mail and eshops. The pricing is the selling point of this company as they boast prices from $0.99 per month. 1and1 is a not too new user friendly however there is a 30-day money back guarantee.
- Simple well rounded platform to create websites
- Free 14-day trial with step by step directions
- Great for individuals who want to showcase their work
Squarespace is a clean, easy-to-use service perfect for creating websites to showcase product, services, or a portfolio. Templates are generally minimalistic, allowing visitors to focus on what’s really important. All templates also come equipped with optional eCommerce and analytics features, making it very easy to convert what would otherwise be a gallery into a digital storefront. Aimed at individuals and small businesses looking to open an eShop, Squarespace is highly affordable starting at $12 a month, after the free trial period.