Today heart disease is the number one killer in the United States and several other developed nations. Millions of people are losing their lives as a result of coronary heart disease. Majority of this problem comes as a result of the lifestyles that we live. These range from things such as the types of food that we eat, the cigarettes that we smoke excessively, the fact that we do not engage in physical exercise etc.
In this article we are going to take a look at some of the best foods for the heart. These foods are so good for the heart that when you eat them on a regular basis you are going to be guaranteed of a very healthy heart.
According to doctors, majority of the cases related to heart disease can be easily prevented by eating the proper foods that are compatible with the heart. There are certain foods which when an individual consumes on a regular basis will quickly increase his risks of suffering from a heart disease. Some of these foods that are unfriendly to the heart include foods that are loaded with lots of sodium, unhealthy fats, and a lot of cholesterol. A heart-healthy diet should therefore consist of foods that are free from these killers. You should eat more of vegetables, fruits and whole grains if you want to have a very healthy heart.
Best superfoods for your heart
- Oatmeal is a very good food for your heart, which you can use to start your day. Oats contain rich sources of omega-3-fatty acids, potassium, magnesium and soluble fiber that are all good for the health and proper functioning of your heart. Oatmeal is very good in lowering LDL – the bad cholesterol. The more oatmeal that you consume the lesser bad cholesterol you are going to have in your system. Regular consumption of oats will also help in keeping your arteries free. Clogged arteries play an instrumental role in heart diseases, but you can prevent your arteries from blocking by a regular consumption of oatmeal.
- Eat fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids like salmon. Salmon is a very delicious fish that is loaded with plenty of omega-3 fatty acids which are very good for your heart. Studies have shown that omega-3 fatty acids found in salmon are very important when it comes to reducing our blood pressure levels. They also help in preventing the blood from clotting. If you want to reduce your risks of suffering from a heart disease then experts have suggested that you eat at least two servings of salmons every week. You do this and you are going to significantly reduce your risk of suffering from heart disease. You should take note that salmons are not the only fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids. You have others that are equally rich in this important nutrients and others like tuna, sardines, mackerel and herring. They are foods that are very good for the health of the heart.
- Avocado is a heart- healthy food that you must include in your diet. Avocados can significantly reduce the dangerous cholesterol levels in your body. While it does this, it simultaneously increases the level of good cholesterol in the body. Avocados are loaded with a great deal of monounsaturated fats which have been shown to be heart-healthy fats. The more avocados that you consume, the more healthy your heart is going to be.
- Eat some walnuts if you want to have a healthy heart. Walnuts are also very good foods for the heart. They keep the heart healthy and functioning properly. The reason they are capable of doing this important job is because they are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, magnesium, vitamin E, monounsaturated fats, and polyunsaturated fats that are all good for a healthy heart. Eating walnuts on a daily basis will help in lowering bad cholesterol levels in the body and keep your heart healthy.
- Olive oil is a friend of the heart. Olive oils contain a great deal of the heart-healthy fat called monounsaturated fats. When you use more olive oil to prepare your dishes you significantly lower your risk of suffering from a heart disease. If you have a choice between using ordinary vegetable oil and olive oil to prepare your dishes then always go in for the olive oil. It is the best oil in the world. It is delicious and totally healthy for the body.
- Use berries to protect your heart. Berries are one of the best foods that you can eat for a healthy and well-functioning heart. You can eat more blueberries, cranberries, strawberries, raspberries and whatever berry you can find. They are all good foods for the heart and will save you from developing any disease related to the heart. The reason berries are good for the heart is because of the fact that they contain rich amounts of anti-inflammatories, calcium, fiber, vitamin C among others that are extremely good for the health of the heart.
- Start eating beans today for a healthy heart. Beans are also very good foods for the heart, health experts say. The best types of beans for the heart are the black and kidney beans, which are fully loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, soluble fiber and calcium. These work together in making beans a good food for the health and proper functioning of the heart.
- Oranges are heart-healthy foods. If you want to have a healthy heart then do not forget about your oranges. Oranges contain lots of heart healthy nutrients like potassium, fiber, alpha-carotene, vitamin C. All these nutrients are major players in making your heart healthy and keeping it free from diseases. A nutrient like vitamin C which is found in orange is said to help the blood to flow very well into the heart. Orange is very good for your health. Health experts recommend that we eat at least two oranges a day and drink more orange juice. If you we do this then good health is something that we are never going to lack.
- Soy is also another good food for the heart. Soy can help in lowering dangerous cholesterol levels in the body, which is why it is a good thing for the heart. Take in more soy milk, soy juice and soy drink. Always make sure that they are the natural sources.
- Remember to eat chia seeds if you want a healthy heart. Chia seeds are so nutritious that we do ourselves a disfavor when we do not include them in our daily diets. According to health professionals, a spoonful of chia seeds a day can bring you so much health benefits. Chia seeds help to significantly reduce bad cholesterols in our system, and that is why they are very good foods for the heart. Chia seeds if eaten on a regular basis will also fight against high blood pressure. Chia seeds are extremely good for your heart so it is important that you include it in your daily diets. You can add chia seeds to virtually any type of food that you are eating. You can also eat them like that without mixing them with any food. These seeds are very healthy.
- Flaxseed is a very powerful food. It is sometimes considered the most powerful natural food on earth. I’d be making a huge understatement if I were to say that flaxseeds are healthy. They contain so much health benefits I can’t mention all. But what I do know is the fact that they are very good food for the heart. Flaxseed contains very high amounts of omega-3 essential fatty acids, which as you already know are very good for the health of the heart. Flaxseeds also contain a great deal of both soluble and insoluble fiber. Do your heart and body some good and start taking flaxseeds.
- Spinach is another food that is very good for the health of the heart. Spinach is a vegetable that is rich in so many nutrients such as potassium, fiber, lutein and folate. These nutrients found in spinach have been proven by numerous studies all over the world to be very good for the heart.
- Eat some dark chocolate. I find this a very palatable way of taking care of your heart. I know my readers would agree with me on that. According to health experts, dark chocolates that contain over 70 percent of pure cocoa are very good for the heart. You see cocoa in itself is a very nutritious food. Studies have shown that cocoa contains a substance called flavonol, which is very instrumental in preventing high blood pressure and improving the smooth flow of blood to the heart. Any chocolate with over 70 percent of pure cocoa content is very good for the proper functioning of your heart.
You can significantly prevent your risk of developing heart diseases by eating the foods above.