Are you wondering which cities in the United States have the cheapest rental rates for apartments? If you are then you are in luck because this article contains just what you need.
Without any further ado let us delve straight into our list of the top 10 cheapest cities in the United States to rent an apartment.
NOTE: This list was made based on a similar article by CBSNews.com entitled: ‘Top 10 cheapest U.S. cities to rent an apartment’. The list is arranged in an order of ‘cheap- cheaper- cheapest’.
The List of the cheapest cities in U.S to rent apartments
- At number 10 comes Kansas City, Missouri. Investigations have revealed that Kansas City is abound with lots of very cheap apartments for rent. The average price for renting a one bedroom apartment is $730 per month.
- At number 9 comes Louisville, Kentucky with an average rent per month of $727. Louisville is the largest city in the states of Kentucky. As at 1999, the total population of the city was 253,128. One of the major reasons why Louisville has one of the cheapest rental rates for apartments in America is because the supply of apartments and homes for rent is much more than the demand.
- Columbus, Ohio takes the number 8 spot. If you are looking to rent an apartment in Columbus then you should budget for around $722 every month. Besides Columbus being the capital city of the state of Ohio, it is also the largest city in that state. In 2011, the population of Columbus was 797,434. Columbus is also where the Ohio State University is located. Ohio State University is one of the biggest Universities in the United States.
- With an average monthly rent of $713, Arlington, Texas takes the number 7 position. Arlington is located in Tarrant County, Texas which is within the metropolitan area of the Dallas – Fort. As at 2011, the city a population of close to 374,000.
- Memphis can be found in the southwestern corner of the state of Tennessee. Besides being known for its affordable accommodations, it is widely known as a meeting place for music lovers from all over the world. The average price for an apartment in Memphis, Tennessee is $692 per month. Memphis ties in terms of accommodation prices with Indianapolis.
- Indianapolis, Indiana, has an average rental price of $692 per month which ties with Memphis. Indianapolis is one of the biggest cities in the United States and it is the capital of the state of Indiana. 2010 census revealed the city’s population to be 829,718.
- The city of Detroit joins this list as number 4. The city made famous by Eminem is now sadly bankrupt. Many experts say that the city’s bankruptcy could account for one of the reasons why it has very cheap apartments for rent. At the moment, the average price per month for a one-bedroom and bathroom apartment goes for $678, making it the fourth-most-affordable city in the United States to rent an apartment.
- Tulsa, Oklahoma takes the third position in the list because of the fact that just with an amount of $672 per month you can get a decent one-bedroom apartment to rent. Tulsa is a pretty nice and decent place to live. The only problem with it is the fact that it is very prone to severe weather such as tornadoes.
- The second position is occupied by Tucson, Arizona. Tucson is the home to the prestigious University of Arizona and is known for its brilliant sunny weather. Besides being known for its brilliant weather, the city is also known for it its incredibly affordable apartments. The average price to rent an apartment in Tucson, Arizona is $628 per month.
- Wichita, Kansas takes the number one position for being the most affordable city in the United States to rent an apartment. If you are looking for the cheapest place to rent an apartment in the United States then don’t hesitate taking a trip to Wichita where the average rent price is just $623 per month. Wichita is the largest city in the state of Kansas. The latest census of the city shows a population of 385,577.
NOTE: This list was prepared on the 22nd of July 2013 and is subject to change as the months or years roll by.